How many times have you heard this from your boss, “Why aren’t we on the first page of Google?” or “My daughter can’t find us on Facebook?” Well Mr. Boss man, let’s evaluate our online Marketing strategy. Oh ya, we don’t have one! Randomly updating your Facebook page, unfortunately, doesn’t qualify as an effective online marketing strategy.
Here are easy steps to help you in convincing your boss
Your boss might be a bit old school, so you may need to sit down with him or her and produce some numbers and some graphs as to why spending money for an SEO campaign can and will be effective. Although search engine optimization feels like it’s been around forever, it’s actually a newer concept to the majority of people in the workforce.
Darn tootin they are! Why are they out performing us? Why are they showing up on the first page search results, and you can’t even find us? These are pretty common questions when you are wondering how your competitors are outperforming you. The answer is simple- they have an SEO strategy and you don’t. SEO results don’t come overnight, in fact it will most likely to take months, and in many cases up to one year to see direct SEO rewards and results. Any boss can relate to competition, and no boss ever wants to come in second place.
When I was a kid, I recall watching TV and wondering who came up with all these horrible tv commercials. The so called “Traditional” forms of media still do have a place in today’s marketing world. More and more people are ditching the TV and the newspaper. More consumers are buying and searching for things online. According to the Huffington Post article, Cyber Monday online sales hit a record of $1.5 billion! I am sure your boss and the company would like a piece of that money.
Let’s hope you have access to your company’s analytics reports, such as Google analytics, so you can show your boss exactly how much time visitors are spending on the site. You can also show the pages of your website where people drop off unengaged. You may need to revise your content, design, and most importantly your “calls to action” to entice those visitors to convert rather than bounce. Each visitor that leaves the site is a lost customer. Hitting a business person where it hurts- in the wallet- is a surefire way to make a convincing argument for SEO services.
Here are some really handy and free tools that you can show your boss.
Don’t let your company fall behind the competition because you lack something as important as a strategic marketing campaign.
1. Start with statistics. Are you looking to create a Facebook fan page for your company? Let your boss know that:
• Facebook is the second most-visited website in the world after Google.
• Show your boss that a Facebook page is an opportunity not only to get your company brand out to 800 million users, but also a chance to truly influence others to act in your company’s favor and most important to increase your social search presence. In fact, while 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations, only 14% trust advertisements (Nielsen).
2. It’s within the budget. Another great thing about social media is that for the most part, it’s still free. When you set up Facebook and Twitter profiles, you have nothing to lose, and only mindshare to gain.
3. It’s not just for “kids.” People of all ages are on social networks. In fact, the fastest growing group on Facebook is 55 to 65-year-old females.
4. It generates leads. Just check out the chart below to see how companies have acquire customers through social media. (Courtesy of Hubspot).
5. It provides analytics. Most social media sites provide free insight into the demographics and behaviors of your fans and followers. You’ll learn a lot about your consumer audience.